Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lentil Soup


Lentil soup on a rainy Sunday...

I got this recipe out of my parenting magazine this month.

I have really been on a soup kick lately. I have had a bag of lentils in my cupboard for too long now and I always mean to make "something" with them. They are so good for you, which is the initial reason for buying the bag. I am trying not to be as much of a procrastinator lately. When I have an idea I force myself to do it... I guess you could say I am turning over a new leaf. Although, I need to get around to that pesto before the basil goes bad! But I will give myself credit for giving both my pugs a bath today. It is the first time since my baby was born and she is over a year, now...that is slacking!

Lemony Lentil Soup with Greens

PREP TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 55 minutes
SERVES: 6

2 tsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz green or brown lentils
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
8 cups chopped kale leaves (about 6 oz)
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest

PER SERVING: 410 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 600 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails