Mushrooms and Pasta in Garlic Parmesan Sauce
16 ounces rotelle (corkscrew) pasta
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 can (13-3/4 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups zucchini, cut in 1" by 1/4" pieces (I will use broccoli)
8 ounces cooked ham, reduced sodium, (bacon or sausage substitute?)
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to directions on package, drain and put in a large serving bowl.
- Place garlic and butter in a 12" x 8" x 2" microwaveable baking pan. Microwave on high until garlic is softened, about 2 minutes. Stir mushrooms into butter, microwave uncovered on high until mushrooms are nearly tender, about 8 minutes stirring once.
- In a cup combine chicken broth, cornstarch, and black pepper until smooth; stir into mushrooms. Microwave uncovered on high until hot, about 8 minutes, stirring once.
- Add zucchini, ham and cherry tomatoes; microwave uncovered on high until mixture thickens and boils, about 9 minutes, stirring twice.
- Stir in parmesan cheese; pour over reserved pasta; toss gently. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Round out with a whole-grain roll and a mixed green salad with around 100 calories of dressing.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com