Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Simple Indian Butter Chicken Recipe


I saw this on a blog... I think it was the picture that intrigued me the most. Okay and maybe a little bit the butter!!! But, the spices were so involved, I almost didn't make it. Instead (you know me), I simplified it.

My husband is hard to impress with food, and he had seconds. He said it might be his new favorite chicken dish. I agree with him, because it was delectable. When you substitute as much on a recipe as I did... and it is wonderful, you have to wonder what it would have been like if you followed it to the tee. Maybe that is an experiment I will have to do when I have the determination of finding Garam Marsala (one of the unusual spices it called for).



Indian Butter Chicken
  • 1 white onion (chopped)
  • 1 tbsp ginger powder
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 fresh jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander (leave it out if you don't have any)
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup sour cream or cream ( I only had sour cream)
  • 4 boneless chicken breast cut into strips
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups white rice cooked
  • lime wedges and cilantro ( I didn't have any and it was good without)
In saute pan combine onion, ginger, jalapeno, and oil. Saute until soft, then add garlic, chili powder and coriander. Saute for 2 more minutes.

Scrape mixture into food processor and add chicken broth and tomato paste. Mix until smooth. Pour back into pan and add sour cream. Bring to boil. Then reduce to simmer until reduced to 3 cups. (about 7 minutes) Stir often as it will stick to bottom. This will splatter, it made a mess, but it needs to reduce so it is best if you keep the lid off. Be careful.

Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside. Clean pan and reheat with 1 tbsp butter. Cook chicken in butter until pinkness is gone on the outside, 2-3 min.

Pour back in sauce and let it simmer with chicken over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5-6 more minutes to finish cooking chicken. Add remaining 3 tbsp butter in small chunks and stir into mixture until dissolved.

Serve atop rice garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.

FYI: Don't pick your nose after cutting up jalapenos... you will not be happy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, glad you liked the recipe! I actually have found garam masala and any regular grocery store and also walmart.

    http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Products/Blends/Garam-Masala.aspx

    If you google it, there are also lots of make your own since it is a mix of different spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks delicious! I may try this tonight with my leftover chicken. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! I have a similar recipe!
    Here from FF running behind this week...
    Take a minute to check out my food blog http://shamrockandshenanigans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails