Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Split Pea and Ham Soup

More ham leftovers from Easter! This is such a comfort food. One of my blogger friends referred to my cooking as "down home cooking", so I decided to live up to the name! I will have to admit that I love Cambells split pea and ham. It reminds me of childhood.... split pea and saltine crackers. Yum! But, home made is ALWAYS better and cheaper.


Split Pea and Ham Soup

3 cups dry split peas (less if you like a thinner soup)
1 ham bone (diced Canadian bacon would do if you don't have a ham bone lying around)
2 carrots sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
1 white onion chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock

Cook onions, carrot, celery, garlic and ham (only if you are using Canadian bacon) with olive oil on medium high until softened. Add water, chicken stock, peas and ham bone. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 1 hour on the stove top.

Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with a nice crusty bread.

(The great thing about dry peas is: you don't have to soak them, just a good rinse will suffice.)

1 comment:

  1. I am planning on making this in the next few weeks--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails