Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What am I going to do with all this basil?


My garden looks pretty good, but it has not produced any veggies yet. I have tons of basil. Last year I made a huge batch of pesto and froze it. (I still have some). I think I will freeze some of it this year. Did you know that you can put your fresh basil in a freezer bag and use it when you need it? (cilantro too!) A couple people said it would turn black, so you should blanch it first. I will let you know once I try it :)

Last night I made a Tomato Basil salad and it was yum.

Tomato Basil Salad

2 tomatoes
1 bunch basil
1 cucumber
2 ounces goat cheese, feta or fresh motzerella
2 tbsp basalmic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut up the tomatoes, cucumber and basil, add the oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. Then add the cheese to the top.

If you have any ideas for my excess basil, please let me know!

9 comments:

  1. Try this! Im sure it would be awesome with fresh basil =)

    http://mrsbettierocker.blogspot.com/2010/07/basil-sirloin-with-potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Capressa Salad? It's very yummy! you just need cherry tomatoes, basil, fresh mozarella, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Just cut the tomatores in half, chopp the basil, and cut the mozarella in squares, make a vinagrete wih the balsamic vinegar and oil, 1/2 tsp of sugar, pour it over the salad, and voila! yummy salad!!!

    www.mrssassycrafter.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, just got my first tomato, and I have lots of basil too, just trying to keep it from going to seed. I love picking it and then smelling it on my hands. Can't wait for the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower from Follow me Back Tuesday. I hope you can stop in and see me at www.hootiebee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great idea ilove being able to use basil

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love basil! I finally made pesto for the first time the other week. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thought was pesto, but it doesn't seem like you need that...maybe brushetta. I love brushetta on foccacia bread in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am your newest follower sent from Welcome Wednesday :)
    Come follow back-http://thesavinqueen.blogspot.com/
    Very creative blog- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Tomatoes and basil are awesome by themselves. Add goat cheese ... inspired! I love anything with goat cheese. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails