I always have the best of intentions. There were so many things I wanted to do with my first child: cloth diapers, home made baby food, and so on. I was working part time when she was an infant, so those things did not happen. It's funny because now that I am a SAHM, I feel like I have less time than when I was working. Maybe it is because I have 2 kids now :). But, I have succeeded in the cloth diapering department and I am loving it. So, now that my little nugget is ready to eat solids, I set aside an afternoon to make some baby food. I CANNOT believe I didn't do this before.
1. It was SO easy.
2. I know exactly what is in my babies food.
3. It was CHEAP.
I bought 2 organic sweet potatoes and 1 butternut squash. Total: $3.75. It made at least 40 small jars of baby food. Now that I know how easy it is I can never go back.
HOW TO BABY FOOD
1.Pick your produce.
2. Cook in oven or steam on stove. (squash is cut in half, placed cut side down in pan with a 1/2 cup water and cooked for 1 hour at 375)
3. Peel and cut into chunks.
4. Put in blender with 1/4 cup water.
5. Puree until smooth, adding more water as needed.
6. Pour into ice cube trays and allow to freeze.
7. Pop out and place in labeled freezer bags.
The great thing about putting them in ice cube trays is: you can mix and match, maybe one squash cube with an apple cube?